Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pet Peeves!

My sister, Joan, and I commited to posting our top ten pet peeves. I encourage all of you bloggers to try. It's not as easy as I had once thought. Though once you start it's hard to stop. These are in no particular order (except for number one).

1. Those testicles people hang from their trucks are the most disgusting and degrading things I've ever seen. Is there no dignity left in this world? How am I supposed to explain that one to my kids? Thanks, folks! You do America proud!

2. Change...as in money. I hate when people just leave it around the house on countertops, tables, etc. It's dirty! Babies swallow money and poop it out all the time, and you lay your change on the same table you eat at?

3. Fanny Packs. Sorry Mom.

4. Mixed message Christmas yard decor. I particularly love the one with Santa kneeling at the manger. Keep it light and fun, or go with God. Pick one and stick with it!

5. Themed ties. I'm talking about cartoon ties, sports ties, motorcycle ties, etc. There are so many great ties out there. Live a little! Do we really have to resort to things that should only be worn on pajamas (and even that's a stretch)?

6. "Like." I can't stand when people use the word "like" over and over. It's especially annoying when the person is old enough to know better.

7. I'm so glad to see the Calvin & Hobbs era going to the wayside! That was getting old at super speed! Calvin decals peeing on everything from Fords to football teams! Right up there with the testicles! Have you no pride, people?

8. Local/low budget commercials. These drive me nuts. If you don't have enough money to do it right, then just opt out.

9. Church books. I know this is going to get the most feedback from my Mormon reading pals. I just don't think because you are Mormon and have a story to tell it's worthy of being published, purchased, and read! This is not true for all Mormon books, of course, but you know what I'm talkin' about! Some of these books barely form complete sentences much less entice me to keep reading. Only an LDS owned publishing company would look twice at most of these gems. I will refrain from naming any.

10. Hair on, in, or around any sink. Stomach churning for me.

13 comments:

Chredna said...

Ok Local Low budget commercials!!! Oh MY! Chris and I can't believe how horrible these are in Yuma, but I'm amazed they all spend the money to get a jingle written and sung by, what it seems to be professtionals. I love to memorize these songs and sing them when I drive by them....name a place...they have a song!

xenacat1 said...

Hello, friend!
I so definitely agree with you about the local, low-budget commercials. Painful to watch.
My own list would have to include people who put the year stickers for their car registration all over their license plate, instead of just covering up the previous year. I'm happy for them that they are of the financial means to have paid to register their car in every single one of the years represented by the stickers, but it drives me nuts. One should be able to bump those drivers right off the road, with no penalty.

Angela said...

Sabra we have a lot of pet peeves in common. I agree about the LDS authors. We used to get some to "preview" when my inlaws had the bookstore. Wow. Some real stinkers! Also if I have to hear one more Big Bob or RV Peddler commercial, I'm going to scream!

David and Nikki said...

Man, I needed some humor today...beside, Lexi trying to put on my breast pads! Thanks, for the laugh...I went out and removed the testes (sp?) and the Pi@@ on Ford sign David had on his Ram! j/k

Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud!!! I totally agree with your thoughts on the testicles. I think the silhouettes of naked women should be included in that. No class!! Yuma commercials rock. Chad and I (and Chris & Edna) would laugh forever over those dumb things. I think I will do my own pet peeves post...

Ethan Adair said...

Sabra, way back when (1992) you said that if you ended up turning out, (if you "made it") then you would write a book about your life to inspire the youth in the church! Just the other day I was wondering when you were going to get started on your book! Do you not remember this? #9 is confusing to me! Ha Ha Ha!

Ethan Adair said...

Ethan is my son! I'm Stephanie Adair. I guess that I was under his email account. Sorry!

Stephanie said...

Okay, I figured it out! Hello!

megan said...

I'm sorry...but the testes made me laugh when I finally figured out what they were! and they made me laugh reading about them just now :)

Sioux said...

I completely agree with the truck "decor" (I can't even type the word!). It is just so wrong on so many levels, and, really, are these people trying to make up for something? It is really the most disgusting accoutrement to grace a vehicle.

David and Nikki said...

Just wanted to say your pictures are priceless on Megan's blog! What a beautiful family you have! True Happiness...you guys look so happy! I am smiling just looking at them!

Heather Neese said...

I am in complete agreement with you on the whole fake testicle thing. But, you have to admit, when you first see them they make you laugh!

cookie said...

Sabra, I'm looking at your blog for how the band got its name and I'm coming across some hilarious posts! I had to comment on this one because my family can put a check next to at least 2 of these boxes. 1)Don't drive by my parents' house at Christmas time. Jake does the decorating with Santa's hand on Mary's shoulder. But to give him some credit, he does wait to put Jesus in the manger until Christmas day. 2)Don't you remember that lovely Mostly Muffins commercial with Kelly Curtis as the star? There's nothin' like stuffin' your face with a muffin from Mostly Muffins! :)