Friday, May 7, 2010

Sayings!

There are so many little sayings that make me crazy. I will list some for starters.

"It's all good."

"It is what it is."

And finally, "Been there done that."

I find these little phrases annoying, and I've noticed my sixth graders use them so much, they have forgotten how to truly express themselves, but this is not the purpose of this post.

"Been there done that" means to me, "Yes, I've done that already, and because I suffered through it so must you." Rather than saying, "I'm sorry. Let me help you through that. I have experienced something similar, and I wish someone had been there to help me through it at the time."

If everyone walks around telling others "they've done their time," and "we all must pay our dues" what does that say about us as a society?

Yes, folks, chances are you have been there, and you have done it all. I'm not sharing my experiences with you, so you can put your stamp of approval on it. I'm probably sharing in hopes you can help me in some way.

Just thinkin' out loud. Well, I'm thinking and typing.

9 comments:

Sarah Blue said...

I've always felt that "been there, done that" was a flippant phrase used to one up or undermine another person's experience/story. As for the phrase everyone must pay their dues...that is bull. Every good teacher or parent does their best to ensure that the children in their sphere of influence don't have to go through as many struggles as they went through. One of the best things about sharing our stories with others is that we can learn from each other's experiences, mistakes, and triumphs. Saying that someone must suffer and pay their own dues seems selfish and trite.

It's good to read that someone else shares similar views on the subject.

Good luck with your sixth graders.

Granni P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina said...

I'm sure I have said those phrases. I don't do it all the time, because I actually don't like to say predictable things.

At times though, when I am on some type of sensory overload, I just speak on "auto pilot." I will have to be more careful!

Granni P said...

Me too, Tina. I will have to be more careful.

Kimmy said...

Oh Sabe- I think I must drive you insane! I say "its all good" all the time! and "it is what it is," too. (And I dont proofread and end up making a zillion grammatical errors, or shave everyday, or use seat covers, and I go to bed with dishes in the sink and use coins all the time. Oh dear- can we still be friends? ;)

Natalie Lundberg said...

I hate the phrase "my bad" makes my skin crawl!

Megan said...

Guilty! I am as guilty and guilty can be! I think I even say more annyoying things than you listed too...like "yeppers" and "yikers".
Sorry ;D

Just Joan said...

dont forget you also like when ppl type "lol"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Sabra, I have never really thought a whole lot about those phrases, but I can see what you are saying. I do say, "It's all good," and "No worries" when someone has done something and comes and appologizes. So are you finished with college for good now?????? I am finally done with this hectic semester and it feels amazing. Now if I can just finish up these IEPs before the end of the month I will be a happy girl! Hope things are going well. Are you enjoying 6th grade? Are you planning on teaching there again next year?