Saturday, July 23, 2011

My 8th July 24th


In the Mormon world July 24th is a big deal (especially in Utah). It's Pioneer Day. In Mormon world your eigth birthday is a big deal, as well. It's the year you get baptized.

July 24th has an entirely different meaning for me. It's the day my first son was born, and he would have been eight this year had he lived passed six weeks and one day.

Each year I handle this day a little different. I would not say it gets easier each year. Some years are better than others. I try to celebrate his birth (not death) on this day. I do it quietly. Bobby and I exchange a word or two about it, and we are forced to go about our day's business. Tomorrow we have church, and I even get to teach a lesson on service. Should be interesting.

I am better because of his life. I am stronger, wiser, more faithful, and determined. I sweat the small things less than I did, and I tend to remember what's truly important more often. When Thomas died, I was so in tune. I became the strongest, wisest and most faithful I had ever been. Nothing of the world mattered to me at that time.

Quicker than I would care to admit the world has crept back in. Each July 24th I try to renew myself in honor of his memory. I try to regain some of that strength, wisdom, and determination. I remind myself how silly all of this petty stuff around me is, and I recall what is of most importance.

Let us not forget why we are here and what matters most. Though he was just six weeks and one day my son taught me more than I had learned in a lifetime. I can hardly recall his face, or his smile, or if he had a birthmark, but I can tell you he is mine for the eternities, and the love I have for him never fades.

Happiest Birthday, my son. Till we meet again.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday little Thomas. Sabra thanks for sharing your thoughts and your feelings. I couldn't agree with you more. I love you girl!

Granni P said...

You and Bobby and our little angel Wyatt are in our hearts always. We love you! I thought of you today and wished you all were with us on the beach.

Katie Kat said...

I know I rarely mention Thomas Wyatt and I've never been sure how you feel about that, but I think of him all the time and the strength you and Bob and the girls all have. I love you more than can ever be expressed...

mrs t said...

What a great post. Thanks for sharing.

Terri said...

Sabra, Thank you for you wonderful post. We all need to stop and consider the important things in life. Thanks for the reminder and for being such a good example. and... I still remember your great laugh!!!! We love you and your family.

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

I haven't been on anyone's blogs in forever but saw your link on facebook for a moment. I knew what it was going to be about. You bring tears to my eyes as always. You are a quiet example to those around you and emulate that strength and determination and faith. I have always admired you. I love you my friend and I can't tell you how much I love that picture of you and him at the end...

Nic said...

So tender. So beautifully expressed. As always, your old soul shares wisdom and amazing strength that inspire us all. Love u:)

Kimmy said...

You know, Michael told me about your sweet baby, and that was several years before I knew you, but my heart broke for you. I was in my last trimester with Tyler, and I remember talking to Daniel about how the loss of a child must be the the most heartwrenching experience to have. I prayed for "Michaels friend Sabra" every night for a long while after that. And then, a few year ago when I met you I was very much in awe by you, still am. You are an amazing individual with such a huge heart, and a radiant spirit. I love to read what you write, especially when its so heartfelt and gives a glimpse into your heart. I adore you Sabe.