Thursday, June 19, 2008

Roughing It!


I hate camping! No, I loathe camping! Whatever the strongest word in the world for hate is...You can apply it to me and camping! My dad wanted me to have this picture some time ago, and I've been deciding what to do with it. I finally decided posting it on the blog would allow for all of us to enjoy it!

The summer of '87 (pictured above) my energetic and ambitious parents decided to buy a van and take the four of us kids camping across the country. The beauty of it was that my parents and baby sister, Joan (turned one that summer), had the privilege of sleeping in the van while Katie, Kelly, and myself (12 years old) pitched a tent EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! No worries. We were well trained in the art of pitching a tent and tearing down camp. Before the trip Dad would run little drills and exercizes like timing us on who could roll up the bags fastest, neatest, and most graceful. We were trained in the fine art of sweeping out the tent on our hands and knees with a little, straw hand broom. We were also trained to withstand any type of weather that came our way. We pitched a tent in a hail storm and tons of rainstorms. The highlight of our day would be the search and discovery of a KOA campground in the next city. We would sing, "KOA is on the way!" The camping lasted about a month. Then we arrived at Grandpa Richie's in New York where we were allowed to sleep under roof (sort of). We actually were allowed to sleep in the screened in patio. Have you ever been to NY in the summer? It's not the place you want to spend your nights outside trying to sleep? I'll take a dry heat any day! Once Grandpa Richie was done with us we headed back home! I think Mom and Dad were wearing thin. We were home in under two weeks, and I remember a hotel or two on the way. I'm surprised they didn't give us the van while they slept in the hotel!

9 comments:

The McEwen Family said...

does not sound like fun at all! Is that you in the picture? Don't you love the 80's!

Kimmy said...

Just think of all the character you developed from the experience. But seriously, I doubt I would like camping either if I had to do the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Ok, that is too funny. I am laughing right now! And I love the part about the drills!

Laydee said...

uh yeah... you're SUPPOSED to go camping when it's cool outside- ya know oct-nov? crazies...not wonder you hate it! but i must say... you should try our trailer- HAH!

Stephanie said...

Camping sucks! I'm with you on this one Sabra, and I never had to go through such an extreme ordeal! I love your story, you have always had a way with telling stories!

Tina said...

I hardly recognize you!

I cannot imagine a month of camping. I don't mind a day or two, but a month....:P

And whoever it was that dreamed up the tiny camping broom, never really camped, did they?

Anonymous said...

No wonder you hate camping, that would run it for anyone!

Channon said...

I do not like camping either! I grew up in a hotel kind of a family (luckily my father is clostraphobic (sp?) and he can not sleep in a tent or trailer. My husband on the other hand, grew up going camping for vacations. His dad took Scott and I camping while I was pregnant with Maelee and I was miserable. Scott goes out to Boise every other summer and goes backpacking with his dad and step mom. I stay home! Maelee is half me and half her dad. Loves sleeping in a tent, but never outdoors. So every once in a while they set up a tent in the living room. Camping in luxury!

PEHNelson said...

Ok I HATE camping too, althought I never experienced it like you. But you have to admit we had some good laughs at girls camp two years ago. You are in most of my memories!!!