Saturday, September 5, 2009

Remember!

I'm so glad I chose to write my thoughts and post them on the blog last year on this very day. I revisited the post today, and I feel the same today as I did then, but I feel very different than I did six years ago. Six years ago on this very day life was moving without me. I couldn't concentrate. I couldn't eat. I felt dizzy. I felt physical pain all over. I now know the true meaning of a "heartache." When I allow it, the ache returns, and I always allow it on September 5th at least. My goal for this September 5th was to photograph our sweetest boy's headstone. I don't know if it will happen today due to several factors (called life), but I will get one and place it with this post. I have no pictures of the actual funeral, and I have none of his grave. We have a roll of film from the funeral, but I am still not ready to share those pictures with the one hour photo lady at Target (pre-digital). The images on there are so sacred and special. I wonder when I will be ready to share, print, and view them?

I do have to say today came just in time for me. So many things are coming and going in my life. I have been bogged down with all of the wrong things lately. I have been feeling bad about things I have said. I have felt bad about things people think about me. I have felt bad about things people say about me, and things people say to others. Today has brought me back to what is important and what matters. Spencer W. Kimble said the most important word in the English language is the word "remember." I couldn't agree more. Today is a day of remembrance for me, my family, and some friends.

Here are just 20 of the things I want to always REMEMBER:
1. No one is perfect (especially me).
2. Always forgive.
3. Don't believe everything you hear.
4. The final kiss I gave my son
5. Things of the world are just silly.
6. Always give service, but especially when you are at your lowest.
7. You are being watched, but no one watches you quite like you see yourself.
8. You are loved.
9. Many people have it worse than you do.
10. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
11. Ten Commandments
12. Everyone is busy don't take it personally!
13. Perspective, you never know where someone else is coming from. Just Try.
14. Appreciate each moment as if it were your last. It very well could be (hardest to remember).
15. It's just not worth getting worked up over.
16. Most things are out of your control. Accept it along with remember it.
17. You aren't always right.
18. Smile! Just because your day stinks doesn't mean everyone's day has to.
19. The swirly cowlicks on Thomas's head
20. Love one another!

You all know I could go on and on.

11 comments:

Suzanne C said...

The last little while, you have been posting sentiments that I really need to hear. Thanks so much for sharing how you feel. I appreciate your friendship but most importantly, your friendliness. Thanks, Sabra!

Unknown said...

you have always been such a sweet kind and loving person. I am so glad I found you via your blog after all these years! I miss you. You are an amazing person!!!

Lisa Love said...

Incredible wisdom Sabra. I agree with all of your 20 things. Thank you for allowing your heartaches to teach you and deepen your understanding so you can inspire the rest of us.

Lisa Love said...

BTW...I love "The Good Earth" too.

Sarah Blue said...

I like your list of 20 to remember. They are good things.

Just so you know, you've never said anything to me that hasn't been kind and loving. You welcomed me to the ward with open arms. I was very nervous about moving, and you were wonderful to me and my children. I think you are great!

dlines said...

Sabra...
Your list was applicable to all! Thanks for sharing such tender things. You are great. I can't imagine the quiet heartache that you must always have. It is painful to loose a loved one. A child, I don't know. I do know what a loss feels like however...thanks for the reminder and gentle correction of self. It is important to..."remember" LOVE YOU....deb

smitten4glitter said...

Hey girl sorry that i didn;t get a chance to text you back so many thigns happening latley traveling moving the whole thing, anyhow i just wanted to let you know that you ROCK!!!! you have a magnetic personality and a sense of humor that i totaly get and respect. I hope things get better for ya and just remember it can't rain all the time, the sun will shine:)

Laydee said...

Well I love you Sab! You have always been a good example to me. I have always appreciated your outlooks on life, even as they change.

Unknown said...

Wow. You really have a way with words. I am very moved by what you wrote. I still remember how badly I felt for you and Bobby when I found out about your loss and how I wished I knew you better so I could do something to help you.

I also enjoyed your list. Life is too short and too sweet to let the little things to overshadow what is important. Thanks for the reminder.

Alyssa said...

Thanks for opening your heart, I was greatly touched and inspired! You've always been a great example and inspiration to me! I love ya! Oh, and Happy VERY Belated Birthday to you too! I wanted to post that on our birthday, but....well, life caught up with me

Trainer Momma said...

Great list and very reflective. It is crazy what life brings, isn't it? I am learning that just because we are on a different path than we expected, it doesn't mean it is a lesser path. Thanks for sharing your wisdom! I have enjoyed getting to know your family through your blog!