Wednesday, July 21, 2010

No Sparkles Here!



I just finished "The Passage." I don't generally do book reviews. I hesitate to recommend books because we all have different tastes, standards, and expectations. I am making an exception in this case.

"The Passage" is 800 pages of goodness. My sister's friend referred to it as "The Crack Book." This is accurate. I have accomplished next to nothing over the last seven days. Side Note: Why is it that when I finish a book I feel so accomplished then?

It's not my usual genre. It came highly recommended, so I took a leap of faith. I'm so glad I did.

Cronin writes very much like Stephen King, and that is a compliment coming from me. If you hear the word "vampire" associated with this book just ignore it. We call them "virals" or "jumps" in this book. They do not sparkle, fight werewolves, or drive fancy cars (not that I mind all that).



Complaints:
- "F" word
- Overuse of the "ascends" and "descends"
- Long
- Not long enough
- 1st in a series

Praises:
- Awesome
- Addictive
- Creative
- Familiar
- Unfamiliar

I am eagerly awaiting the next installment. Until then, all lights are on!

P.S. I love my Nook! Thank you, Bob. It makes reading so much more convenient. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing?

3 comments:

Just Joan said...

I want to borrow it! Now I just need to get a nook. Maybe with my bday money. Hmmm....maybe I will call dad!

The Davis Diaries said...

OK What the heck!! You are done with Grad School!!! YEAH!!! I am so happy for you! That is fantastic!!! Congrats! Long hard road- especially being a mom/wife/and everything else! Way to go!

JennyandTyler said...

I love your book review! You should write them more often. I really appreciate the complaints and praises. I like to know what I am getting into (without knowing the storyline) and when you lay it all out then I can choose if I want to read it or not. I am always looking for a good book to read.