Thursday, February 3, 2011

"My Great-Aunt Miss Arizona"


I borrowed a set of this book title today from a veteran teacher...a legendary teacher (love you, Janie). I was looking for a short read to do with my small groups. Without hesitation she handed me "My Great-Aunt Miss Arizona" and assured me they would love it.

Well, I don't know if they loved it. I was too busy loving it myself. This sweet book brought me to tears (more than once) while taking my turn to read aloud. Let me clarify, I was not tearing up. I was crying. My students were very concerned and could not understand what the emotions were all about, but these were the words that set me off:

"She hugged them when their work was good, and she hugged them when it was not."

This book captures the heart of teaching and was a tender reminder for me of why I come to work each day.

Miss Arizona taught in the mountains in a one room schoolhouse. Talk about differentiated learning! Teaching today is extremely different than it was in Miss Arizona's day, but the centerpiece of teaching is constant...The Child.

Everyone is wearing rubber bracelets with "Livestrong" or "Boobies" printed on it. Maybe, I should manufacture a rubber bracelet with "The Child" on it to constantly remind society of what truly matters and where our focus should be.


P.S. The first shipment of my bracelets would go to the government.

4 comments:

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

I will buy your bracelet! And sending it to the government 1st would be a grand idea. I feel about my job, the way you feel about your job. It is nice to know that people out there still love what they do day to day. I bet you are a great teacher. Your students are lucky to have you.

Chredna said...

This is why we will never catch up to the chinese. Their books say "Nod at them approvingly when the get it right. Cane them when they get it wrong. "

Katie Kat said...

My first batch would go to parents. Sorry Sabe, but I think they're more of a problem than the government. I am glad you got your reminder moment, though ;) Love you. Gonna look for the book at work tomorrow.

Lisa Love said...

I am definitely going to check that book out. I love your book reviews/suggestions! You and your students are lucky to have each other.