Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day!

First, I'm glad it's over. This "road to the white house" is getting much too long for me. Years, folks! This is getting ridiculous. The money spent on campaigning is just embarrassing. That money could be put to much better use. These politicians should be ashamed. America should allow campaigning to begin the year of the election. No more, no less! Okay, maybe less.

Second, I have to say I'm excited. Things are a changin' that's for sure! Change isn't always bad, and if it is bad we know it comes in cycles. These are some pretty bad times, and if it's going to get worse before it can get better then let it happen. If it's going to get better now with a new president then let's see it! Either way, I'm good.

Third, I'm proud to live in a country that has come so far in the last fifty years. Just a generation ago this would have never been possible. My parents as youth couldn't have conceived of a minority leading this country. I say "minority" because he is black, but let us not forget he is white, also. Bobby calls it "Halfrican American." Anyway, I'm just impressed with our country for all the progress we have made over the years, and though I might not agree with everything Obama stands for and believes in, I live in a country run as a democracy, and we as a country voted him in. This means I will only show my respect. I teach my children to respect their leaders, so I must do the same.

10 comments:

Just Joan said...

Very nice post. I agree...change will be good...hopefully. I love Bob's nicknames for things...he never ceases to make me laugh. I definitely agree the road is much too long but I am glad we have reached the end!!!

Kimmy said...

You have a much better attitude than me. Way to look for the good!

Laydee said...

i like the 'halfrican' bit...too funny

and i say AMEN to the spending...how responsible is it to spend millions of dollars just to get us to hear that in the long run you'll save us millions? kinda dumb. couldn't they have handed a few hundred to me??

Carol Godinez said...

I'm with you...I'm excited to see what lies ahead.

Gabriela Hull said...

Well said. Let's hope for some good change.

BlairsTown said...

I'm with you 100% with the campaigning and the money spent. As I watched the news this morning while working out I was amazed with how many times they referenced wins to the House, the Senate and the President due to how much money was spent. Not the greatest way to pick our leaders.

Granni P said...

Love that you are positive especially to the kids. I admire you! and I too am grateful to live in this free nation! It's four years, let's go! Lot's of things happen in 4 years, no matter who is at the top!

Brenda said...

I agree on the money spent, I have always thought..What a Waste! The length of campaigning becomes old! I was getting tired of watching the news, because of it! I like your outlook! I asked my kids if they talked about our new President in school, surprisingly they didn't spend much time talking about it!(In their minds, he was not who most of their peers were voting for) They were concerned and were asking me a lot of questions about Obama. It'a amazing how our kids follow our lead, even with politics! I think we have to make the best of what we are given for our children!
I agree, we have come along way in the last 50 years!

Tina said...

The change I am excited for is a new topic! I'm so glad the election is over now. Great post!

Heather Neese said...

What a great post! I have to agree. I didn't vote for him, but Jeff and I have both talked to the kids about respecting our leaders whether we agree with them or not. I hope our country sees some improvement soon! My only fear is some backwoods dipstick poking his head out of his hole in the South and trying to assinate the man. We'll have to keep our chins up.