Friday, March 11, 2011

You Are My Sunshine!


You Are My Sunshine
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.


I would often sing the chorus of "You Are My Sunshine" to Buddy when he was a baby. Sometimes I would whisper it to him at 2:00 in the morning, so I would not wake the others sleeping. Once in a while I would hum it with tears in my eyes as I rocked my new son. Then there were times I would run through the lyrics in my mind to get me through a frustrating mom moment.

My mom would sing this song when I was a kid. I only know the chorus because that's all she would sing. I'm guessing that's all she knew or all she could get through. Each time she would sing it, she would cry. I would worry and wonder why she would cry about a song. As I entered my teen years, I would roll my eyes when she would cry so easily. "How embarrassing, Mom!" Now, as an adult/mother I understand fully (probably as fully as possible) the lyrics, the meaning, the emotion of this song.

Maverick is my sunshine. He will never know how much I love him. I begged each night (heck, all day, too) to not have him taken away.

He is the sunshine that proves I weathered the storm. We did it, Buddy!

My sunshine turned six years old yesterday!

I love you, Buddy.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

This is so sweet. You're very strong Sabra.

Katie Kat said...

I always sang that song to Robert...just the chorus but never realized why I knew it.

Wendy said...

Six years? Already? Such a sweet little story and cute photo! Happy Birthday, Momma!

Kimmy said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Tina said...

Very sweet post. I love that picture of him too.

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

You definitely needed some sunshine in your life at that time and some happiness when your skies turned grey at times... I am so happy Buddy was that for you. Love u Sabra!

Suzanne C said...

I love to sing it to mine to, but I change the chorus to: "You'll always know, dear, how much I love you, each and every day!"

Granni P said...

I think that Buddy is the sunshine for Grama and Granpa too! Love love love that boy! He is a delight for us to have around!