Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Ride Is The Thing.


Today was Grandma Darlene's funeral (Tom's mom). She was a sweet, little lady. Since attending my own son's funeral, I have pretty much avoided all funerals. Patty's mom passed away last year, and that was my first funeral in six years. I didn't just attend, I delivered the eulogy. It was very emotional for me. I was sad to lose my friend Peggy, and I ached for Patty's loss, but I was also re-grieving a little selfishly. Today was a little different. I watched Bobby's Aunt Nancy say goodbye to her mother and wrap her sweetly before the casket was closed. I thought of how life moves. It never stops. It truly is a circle. Today we celebrate Strider's birthday, as well. That's just one example of the circle and the always moving ride of life.

Jerry Seinfeld said it best, and I've quoted him many many times:

"Life is truly a ride. We're all strapped in and no one can stop it. When the doctor slaps your behind, he's ripping your ticket and away you go. As you make each passage from youth to adulthood to maturity, sometimes you put your arms up and scream, sometimes you just hang on to that bar in front of you. But the ride is the thing. I think the most you can hope for at the end of life is that your hair's messed, you're out of breath, and you didn't throw up."

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Well put. :)

Natalie Lundberg said...

yes, well put. Was thinking about Grandma Lemmon today and everyone being together. Thanks for the post.

Carol Godinez said...

I had never heard that...I love it.

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

Love it. I always love hearing about what you have learned from your own experiences in dealing with what you had to endure. You are such a strong example to those around you no doubt. Love you!