Friday, January 21, 2011

Sabra "The Exemplar" Lemmon



Scene I
This morning on Bob and Sheri they were discussing the arrest of the 100 mobsters in New Jersey and New York. It then lead to mob names.

Examples:

Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso

Jimmy "The Weasel" Fratianno

Johnny "The Hook" Regatti

Vincent "The Chin" Gigante

Frank "The Hammer" Jones (for you Frank)

Tony "The Tiger" Rosario

These names are earned, and it's always fun to hear how they get the not so loving label.

Scene II
I arrive with my boys to school today and am quickly instructed by Maverick's kinder teacher to report to Mrs. Parsons (the director) right away, and I'm told to take Maverick with me.

I am informed he and a friend have been saying very mean things to some of the younger, preschool children. It has upset one child so much that he doesn't want to stay for extended day anymore for fear of a run in with my five year old. Basically, my son is bullying, and it has to stop.

I had no idea! I know he's wild and unruly, but truly I did not know he was terrorizing three year olds.

Once again, I am Mother of the Year.

I'm in the director's room hearing what she is saying and thinking, "Wow. I am a mother of four. I am a teacher. I own a child care center/preschool...Yuma's Best 2010 actually. AND I serve on the board with Mrs. Parsons. What am I doing wrong here?"

On paper I look like I know what I'm doing, but I just don't. I remember the saying, "Babies should come with a manual." I never thought I needed a manual UNTIL TODAY. In fact, I always thought that saying was kind of dumb.

I didn't even know how to respond to Mrs. Parsons or what to say to Maverick during the meeting. I just sat there like a buffoon. I went to my car and cried like a baby myself. I cried to Bobby. I cried to my friend,Carrie, and then I moved on to crying to Savana. I can't remember the last time I cried (other than funerals, movies, shows, and commercials).

Closing Scene
Mafia name given: Sabra "The Exemplar" Lemmon. So named because I am a constant example...typically of what not to do.


Buddy "The Bully" Lemmon

6 comments:

Carol Godinez said...

Why didn't I get a crying call?! I know, completley beside the point, but I would have liked to remind you of all the great things your children do that you're also responsible for!

Katie Kat said...

Robert says that Buddy is just a young Sonny Corleone! All kidding aside, you are an awesome mom and I love you. Hang in there!

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

Girlfriend... no more crying! Not about that anyway! My son Javan was the same way... seriously! From pre-k up until this past year in 4th grade. I felt like a failure constantly with him but the consistent hard work payed off this year when he can finally correct himself (most of the time) at school. We have been to 3 counselors over his life but it.is.not.you!

You ARE Mother Of the Year in my book for so many reasons. With kids like him, you literally have to take one day at a time and lots more teaching and attention. Probably until they are grown. But I know you have it in you! Love you!

Wendy said...

Oh Sab,I have learned:
When we begin to raise our kids we look at other kids and THINK, "It's their parent's fault". When we have been there, done that, for about 10 years we KNOW that "Every child is an individual". No matter how we parents raise our children, they are free to choose how they receive that upbringing and do what they want to do regardless. Look at Satan...who is his parent?
You and Bobby are doing a fantastic job!
Can you change your names now? Sabra "the Sweetheart" Lemmon & Mavrick "the hi, I am testing everyone's patience at this stage in my life" Lemmon? ;) Things will change...they always do. XO

smitten4glitter said...

Sabra, I'm constatnly in laughter when I come here:0 Usually it's when I need a good laugh (not to say that I'm laughing at you at all) but it reminds me to laugh at myself and quickly lets me know that I'm not the only one thinking WOW this whole "Life" thing it's a "Ride" thats for sure. Most important I'm always glad to see you in the same line for the ride of life:) Hang on Sister there are bound to be at least a few good twist, turns, and bumbs to make you laugh along the way. Always wishing you and your the best your friend Denise

Stephanie said...

OMG! One of my kids has been in the principals office I don't know how many times for being a bully! There were parents calling the school saying their child didn't want to came to school because of my child! My mom wrote her dissertation while she was getting her doctorate degree on... "bullying". I have heard more about child bullying than the typical elementary school parent! You would think I would recognize if I was raising a bully! My son is a totally sweet kid however upon questioning him, yes he was bullying the other kids at school. He thought it was fun/funny! "I was just joking!" I don't know if his bullying had anything to do with the fact he's attention deficit, but medicating the one totally took care of the other. And just an FYI.. I'm one of those parents that don't tolerate bullying at all! When I get word that one of my own children are getting bullied I get fired up! So you could imagine my reaction when finding out that my very own child was doing the bullying! Hey... It happens to the best of us! And I don't think any mother could receive the "Mother of the year award" without a story like this on her resume anyways! Take pride in all your mothering experiences. They only make us stronger!